Students Leading Students is the high school validated youth-led program coordinated by Student Leadership Services in Michigan.
Students Leading Students influence their peers to make healthy choices. They are trained by SLS to engage, educate, and motivate their peers to make positive choices. Advisors provide guidance and support to their “Students Leading Students” Chapter.
Activities focus on leadership development, drug and alcohol awareness, resistance skills, personal safety, peer education, bullying, violence prevention, suicide awareness, service learning, safety belt use, safe driving, and community/environmental awareness. Chapters develop effective and comprehensive safety groups. SLS offers support, grants, 1.5 G Flash Drives with curricula, handbooks and trainings developed by SLS.
SLS trained 15,300 high school students to present the “Peer Resistance Skills” curriculum. More than 260,300 fifth and sixth graders learned to say “NO” to alcohol; tobacco and other drugs from SLS students since 1986. SLS trains high schools to deliver three interactive curriculum lessons on Substance Abuse, Bullying and Health to middle schools, called “STAND To Be Active”.
SLS in picture
Three Promises of SLS
Students Leading Students members are committeed to three promises:
- I will not participate in self-defeating behaviors that could damage who I am and who I want to be.
- I will make appropriate decisions when driving or riding in a car.
- I will help and support my friends to do the same.
Don’t Hesitate, Start Your Chapter Now
Interested in starting your own Youth-Led chapter?! Students, want your voice to be heard. Advisors, want a program that is fully student-led. Click below to learn how to start your own chapter!
- Office of Drug Control Policy 1996 selected SLS Michigan Exemplary Drug Prevention Program.
- Prevention Organization Award 1996 from the Michigan Prevention Association
- National Safety Council Award of Honor –Youth Division 1996 to the SLS Student Advisory Board.
- National Safety Council Award of Commendation -Community Division 1998 to SLS.
- High/Scope Educational Research Foundation & Youth Program Quality Assessment awarded SLS Best of 90 MI Youth Programs 2005.
- 25th Anniversary (2007-2008) Five State Conferences at Newaygo, Cousino, Bentley, Vandercook Lake and Houghton Lake High Schools
- SLS Celebrates 30 Years of Service in 2012 to Michigan School-based, Youth-led Chapters
- 2012 Governor’s Traffic Safety Award for Long Term Achievement awarded by the Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning
- 2011-2012 Service To Science Award from federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- 2012-2014 SAMHSA Award “Building Evaluation Capacity for Evidence-Based Interventions”
- 2014 NASADAD National Exemplary Award for Innovative Substance Abuse Prevention Programs, Practices, and Policies